Wednesday 23 January 2019

Tax! What can you do about it?


Image result for lord of the rings tax memeYes, I know it is tax return silly season. Yes, I know I should be spending my valuable time filing tax returns. So, why have I decided to write this blog? Well, believe it or not, it has actually arisen from having looked at so many tax returns lately. It never ceases to amaze me that every year I will have clients ask me what they can do to reduce their tax bill. For last year. In January. Oh, how we laugh...


Image result for gandalf tax memeOf course, we all know that the tax year ends on the 5th of April. Your tax return and payment of tax has to be dealt with by the following 31st of January.

Therefore, if I'm helping you file your tax return in January we're already nine months beyond the end of the tax year. So, if you're thinking about making that big pension contribution, or buying that new van, it's a bit late for us to offset it against your tax for last year, unless of course your tax adviser also happens to be Gandalf the Grey.

As with all things, there are of course some clever things we can suggest, like Venture Capital Trust (VCT) or Enterprise Investments Scheme (EIS) investments. Well, we can suggest them, but you'll need an IFA to do them. So, again it's unlikely anything can be sorted out in the dying days of January.

Image result for orcs of mordor
So, the point I'm trying to make (through the fog of a tax return induced migraine), is that rather than wait for the orcs of Mordor, sorry I mean the inspectors of HM Revenue & Customs, to come knocking on your door on the 31st of January you might be better seeking the help of your local friendly tax adviser before they arrive. So, to avoid an invasion of the forces of darkness (HMRC), best have that chat before the 5th of April...

No comments:

Post a Comment