Tuesday 17 April 2018

Staying ahead...

My apologies in advance, normally this blog is about tax, but I've gotten a little philosophical lately and thought I should share my musings...

As some of you may know, I am a keen (but very amateur) clay pigeon shooter. Yes, I enjoy blowing up little disks of pulverized limestone in my free time. However, whilst sitting in the audience of a recent seminar I was put in mind of how like my favourite hobby both being in business and working in tax are like...

You see, the trick with shooting a little clay disk out of the sky involves a number of skills:

  • being aware of your environment
  • having a clear view of your target
  • following it as it moves through the air
  • pulling the trigger, and
  • most importantly keeping moving in the direction of travel

Whilst it is not impossible in the discipline to take a fixed shot, or even to "ambush" a target, more often than not you'll miss as a result of such behaviour.

All of this made me really think about the way we approach our businesses, as in where is that "made it" moment, and do you, as an entrepreneur, stop or keep moving? The same can be applied to a career, or even one's financial and tax planning. If you stop moving, if you stop innovating, if you stop progressing and growing, you miss what you were aiming at.

Very few things in life stay still, least of all our goals and desires in life. Keep moving and blow your goals out of the sky!

No comments:

Post a Comment